X-710 without battery pack

Une machine en panne, cassée ? Un mode de fonctionnement incompréhensible ? Exprimez-vous ici

Modérateur : Politburo

Répondre
rlucia
Fonctionne à 75 bauds
Fonctionne à 75 bauds

X-710 without battery pack

Message par rlucia »

Hello all,

I can only write in english, if this should go to the english forum, say so and I'll move it :)

I got an X-710 (yay!) but apparently it's been in storage for a long time. The battery pack is dead and so I disconnected it, now the battery compartment is empty. If I connect the external power source, only the reset button does something (the print head moves left, rolls the empty pen holder, then stops). The other buttons (print head shift, color change, paper feed) do nothing at all. Is this normal or is my X-710 broken?

In short, does the X-710 work without a battery?

You can reply in french :)

Thanks!
Lucia
doum-doum
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds

Re: X-710 without battery pack

Message par doum-doum »

Welcome here Rlucia, and and feel free to speak english.
I think, It's a good opportunity for us to improve our own english.

And I apologize for my poor english.
rlucia
Fonctionne à 75 bauds
Fonctionne à 75 bauds

Message par rlucia »

Hm, never mind, I found this: http://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/cx07_e.htm

The battery pack in my X-710 is made of 5 cells and says 6 v, 500 mAh, so I'll try to connect some power supply and see what happens instead of just opening the printer and doing the proposed hack. Thanks to Canon, the pack has a detachable connector.
Pocket
Administrateur
Administrateur

Message par Pocket »

Hello,

Je pense que c'est dangereux d'utiliser un périphérique sans batterie, car la batterie sert de charge et fait baisser la tension d'alimention issue du tranformateur. Sans batterie, le périphérique peut griller.

I think that it is dangerous to use a peripheral without accumulator, because the accumulator is used as load and cause a drop in the voltage resulting from the power adaptor. Without accumulator, the peripheral can be destroyed.

A+
Pocket, voit tout, sait tout, lit l'avenir dans les entrailles d'une base phpBB ...
rlucia
Fonctionne à 75 bauds
Fonctionne à 75 bauds

Message par rlucia »

Hey Pocket,

You are right, but I didn't do that. I have connected a 5 v power supply to the battery connector and it works well. The printer comes to life and everything works including test patterns :)

I have read about what you say in some manuals of things with rechargeable batteries. It's in the manual for a NEC PC-8201a I bought recently and also (thankfully) in the X-710 manual: "Do not leave the charger connected for more than 8 hours". These things didn't have overcharge protection!!! And as you say, the circuitry in the machine might be expecting the drop induced by the batteries, so disaster can happen if it's run on the external power without batteries.

I used a 5 v 2000 mAh power supply directly in the battery compartment.

Regards
Répondre

Retourner vers « Problèmes techniques »